What is Specialist Disability Accommodation

Right. First of all, let us define what SDA means. According to the NDIS:

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) refers to accommodation for people who require specialist housing solutions, including to assist with the delivery of supports that cater for complex or high support needs.


There is a strict eligibility criteria for funding and is usually approved in very few circumstances. Participants with SDA funding usually have high complex needs and funding is usually geared towards the cost of the home or building you live in.

It is important to understand that SDA funding doesn’t include the services or support you might get in that home. This means you are still required to make a rental contribution out of your own pocket.

Check out our SDA properties

What is Supported Independent Living?

SIL funding enables you to receive the supports you need in a shared residence or your own residence. The purpose of this stream of funding is to help you develop your skills and encourage you to live as independently as possible.

Where you are not able to live independently or with family, AriesCare is able to provide accommodation in our shared residences with 3 to 5 bedrooms. Our aim is to accommodate you with people of similar interests and age. It’s a great opportunity to get the supports you need such as cleaning, cooking, medical needs and help with personal care.

Oh, and make new friends!

So what is the difference between SDA and SIL?

SDA funding is usually approved for participants with complex or high support needs.

Whereas, SIL funding is approved for participants seeking to live as independently as possible.

Now, it is important to understand that a participant may be approved for both SDA and SIL although this may be funded separately in your NDIS plan.

Case study

Caleb is a young man living with disability and requires high level support (1:1). He requires accommodation which is fully accessible and it has been identified in his plan that he desires to be more independent.

The NDIS approves funding for SDA and SIL.

Caleb then engages AriesCare to provide specialist disability accommodation for him and provide him with supports for his daily living.

What if i only have SIL, can I live in an SDA accommodation?

Of course. However, you must remember that you will be making rental contributions as if you were a private tenant in a private rental market.

Your SIL funding will cover for all the other supports you may require whilst you are in our residences.

Have questions?

Your local team of Client Care Coordinators are on call to answer your questions and work with you to design a customised plan of care that is right for you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.